UMKC School of Dentistry
January to May 2022 (In-person lab May 14, 2022)
“Extended Care Permit III – Online and Lab Course” (18 CEUs)
Covid-19 has changed the way we do dentistry in all settings. Many patients may be hesitant to attend dental appointments for preventive care and outreach settings are likely not allowing dental professionals to provide on-site treatment at this time. However, as we see a vaccine that has shown to be over 90% effective and new therapeutics being developed, the promise of getting back to "the way it used to be" is on the horizon! This means an increased demand for preventive dental care and an opportunity for ECP-III trained hygienists to play an integral role in delivering care in a variety of settings. There's no better time than now!
This course was specifically designed to fulfill the Kansas State Dental Board requirement to for dental hygienists who apply for the ECP III Dental Hygiene Permit. Dental Hygienists with the ECP III certificate can practice under the sponsorship of a dentist in a variety of public health settings including, schools and long-term care facilities in Kansas.
The course material will prepare the student to:
(1) Describe the requirements of ECP III legislation
(2) Assess for recognition and subsequent referral for further dental care
(3) Remove decayed tooth structure using hand instruments
(4) Place various types of temporary restoration
(5) Adjust dentures to relieve sore spots
(6) Place temporary soft re-liners on dentures
(7) Smooth rough tooth surfaces using a slow speed hand piece
(8) Extract primary teeth with Class IV mobility
(9) Manage dental emergencies
(10) Understand various pharmacological agents such as antibiotics and antifungals.
Cost is $625 for 18 CEUs. *College Course credit available upon request
Online access to 12 topic modules 24/7
Cost Includes the Onsite Hands-On Lab Day Experience
Discussion Board posting with other participants
Full semester to complete all 12 modules
Computer with High Speed Internet Access
Microsoft Word and PowerPoint programs
For registration and information on either course, please contact the UMKC Continuing Education Department (Audriana Bruno Thompson) at 816-235-2142 or email@example.com